Our Athlete of the Month, kicking off 2020 is Stasia Steele! Coaches nominated her for pushing herself during the Open, ALWAYS working on her form to lift more, and smiling through every lift and workout! We are so lucky to have Stasia and her family apart of the Kirkland CrossFit community. Read more below about Stasia:
- How long have you been a member at Kirkland CrossFit? Do you remember your first experience? I have been at KCF for almost two years. I was super nervous to join because I had left a gym where I was very comfortable, some would say a little too comfortable hence my bad form and low weight. I knew Jamie was one of the owners, but I did not know anyone else. Think back, it’s very surprising to me that I made the move because I am more of an introvert.
- What keeps you coming back to the gym day after day? The coaches bring me back daily. Every one of our coaches brings a unique talent and strength to their class. Their knowledge of movements and how it affects the body is one of our gym’s strongest assets. As a not very athletic person I do not have a natural mindset or mental toughness to push harder, however our coaches thrive in this arena. They have more confidence in me than I have in myself. When I accomplish an increase in weight or new movement or improve my form, it is such a fabulous feeling that inspires me to work harder. I have been pushed WAY outside my comfort zone and for this I am grateful. I also think out gym is unique in that our members have a strong sense of integrity and work ethic which stems from the leadership and extraordinary culture they create.
- Do you have a favorite WOD or movement? I do love a good Saturday partner WOD! As far as movements, I like one I can because there are so many that I still cannot accomplish. I think my favorite is slam balls.
- Do you have a least favorite WOD or movement? My least favorite movement are pull-ups and double unders because I can NOT do them, I really think it’s a rhythm thing or at least that’s what my kids tell me.
- What’s your biggest personal accomplishment inside KCF? This sounds so silly, but when I joined KCF I could not do a squat without hearing a coach say “lower, Stasia,” my knees always hurt so badly. Today my knees rarely bother me, I am now able to do overhead squats, wall balls, and all other movements that include squats. I know this is because I have changed my form and built up other muscles, I am not sure which ones, the coaches know though!
- Is there anything you want to share with the KCF community surrounding your personal fitness goals and accomplishments? Any recent PRs you are super proud of or lifts you feel most comfortable performing? I am happy that I have participated in the Opens and other fundraisers. They make me so uncomfortable, but when I am finished I don’t care how I did as much as I care that I did it!
- It’s so special that your family does or has done CrossFit. How does it feel to share your love of CrossFit with your husband and kids? I love working out with my family, it’s truly one of my favorite activities!
- Outside the gym, what are some of your favorite hobbies? Wish I could say it was gold so I could golf with Larry Steele, but it’s not. I even bought clubs, I still have not used them. I do love my job, interior design. I love traveling and cooking for friends, however I hate making weeknight dinners.
- Do you have a favorite place to vacation? My favorite place in the world is Paris. Sometimes I think it’s my favorite because it’s Larry Steele’s favorite. I love the history and architecture of the city, I love that Parisians sit and drink their espresso while enjoying time with friends, and I love how Parisians walk everywhere. I love everything about the city.
Thank you Stasia for being apart of Kirkland CrossFit, your fabulous answers the our questions, and the constant smile you have on your face every day at the gym!