Our awesome and positive athlete of the month is Makenna Berg! Not only is she a strong and competitive athlete, she’s also a nurse at UW Medical Center working hard for the greater community during this pandemic. We asked her some questions below about KCF, as well as her life outside the gym, you can read her answers below!
- How long have you been a member at Kirkland CrossFit? Do you remember your first experience? I have been a member since September 2018, so almost two years! I remember my first time at KCF. Branson and I came for a drop in session with Justin and immediately fell in love.
- What keeps you coming back to the gym? The intensity, humility, and genuine humans we have met made us want to come back for more… and we haven’t left. The workouts are challenging, but the people are what make the gym. I have never met such encouraging, kind, and uplifting people.
- Do you have a favorite WOD or movement? My favorite movement is definitely a power clean. Coach Brigid helped me to break down the movement during Olympic Lifting and it’s definitely my favorite.
- What’s your biggest personal accomplishment inside KCF? My biggest accomplishment inside KCF would be completing Murph last year! The experience is brutal, but finishing felt so great!
- You are a nurse at UW, what can you share with us about your daily struggles on the front line? Any words of advice or wisdom you can give our community? I work at UWMC in the Short Stay/Cardiology Unit. Thankfully, UW is on the forefront for COVID research. It has definitely been a wild time to be a nurse, but the hospitals are doing well; social distancing is working! We are currently required to wear masks the entire shift, but I’m grateful to be where I am. The biggest struggle is that young, healthy people are dying and it’s really scary. My best wisdom is simply to continue good hygiene, wear masks (to protect others, not yourself), and check in on the people you love!
- Is there anything you want to share with the KCF community surrounding your personal fitness foals and accomplishments? Any recent PRs you are super proud of or lifts you feel more comfortable performing? The KCF community is honestly amazing. I wouldn’t be able to get the PRs, reps, rounds, and times without the competitiveness and drive of all of YOU! I’ll never forget when I didn’t have a partner, and seven of the KCF family stepped in to workout with me after they had already finished their own. You all are the best!
- Outside the gym, what are some of your favorite hobbies? Besides CrossFit and working, I love to hike, try new recipes, watch sports, and hangout with my family.
Thank you Makenna for all you do for the KCF community and the larger community as well. We are so excited to have you apart of our great community and cannot wait for us all to be back in the gym competing and fist pumping together!