Our May 2021 Athlete of the Month goes to Leonard Carter! In the six months since Leonard has joined Kirkland Community Fitness, he has become a regular at the 5:30PM class, continues to push himself to hit PR after PR, super encouraging and welcoming of others, and always offers to spot a lift! Thank you Leonard for being a shining star athlete at KCF!
- How long have you been a member at Kirkland Community Fitness? Do you remember your first experience? I’ve been a member for almost 6 months. The first experience was tough, but I got through it and came back for more. I remember I slept really well after my first day, as in like 14 hours.
- What keeps you coming back to the gym day after day? What keeps me coming back is that I can see that the training that I’m getting is having a positive impact on me in multiple ways. With COVID and the lockdown, I was gaining weight and sinking into a depressive state. KCF has helped my mental, emotional and physical health. The staff and students are wonderful and KCF is one of the most inclusive, welcoming, and supportive atmospheres I’ve ever been around.
- Do you have a favorite WOD or movement? I like anything that you can pile a lot of weight on the bar. Squats and Deadlifts bring it on!!! I even like thrusters.
- Do you have a least favorite WOD or movement? I really try not to think about the workouts in a negative manner.
- What’s your biggest personal accomplishment inside KCF? My biggest personal accomplishment is probably sticking with it in those first couple of weeks. But, the bar keeps moving. With the help of our coaches, I keep reaching new milestones, doing exercises that just a few months ago I couldn’t do, lifting heavier weights, or increasing reps of movements/exercises. I’m always excited/surprised to see what new things I’m capable of.
- Is there anything you want to share with the KCF community surrounding your personal fitness goals and successes? Any recent PRs you’re super proud of or lifts you feel more comfortable performing? I recently hit a lifetime PR on the bench press. In high school 225 was max. Last time we did bench at KCF I was able to bench 245 x 4. I’ve set what I feel are some attainable goals for the year Bench 275, Squat 405, Deadlift 405. I think if I just keep with Jason’s programming I could all hit all of those this year.
- Outside the gym, what are some of your favorite hobbies? I love photography. I shot a lot of sports before COVID like boxing and MMA. I like to travel to exotic places as well as spontaneous road trips. I’m a big fan of music everything from underground hip-hop to lofi to jazz. I have some pretty surprising playlists… Rounding things out, I’m a big fan of movies and books.
- What’s your favorite place to vacation? I really like New Zealand. It feels like home but different.