Congrats to our June 2021 Athlete of the Month, Jennifer MacLachlan! Jenn and her family have been members at KCF for almost a decade and are super committed to their overall health! Jenn carries so much positive energy when she walks in the door, and will push you once that clock hits 3, 2, 1… She loves heavy lifting days, long endurance workouts, and everything in between! Thanks Jenn for being awesome, for welcoming new members, and kicking butt every day!
- How long have you been a member at Kirkland Community Fitness? Do you remember your first experience? I think I have been a member eight or nine years, but I’m honestly not sure. One of my first workouts was some horrible max push-ups with a plate on your back. I remember posting a good score, then feeling guilty for the next two days because I was concerned I had counted wrong. What I remember most though was being so nervous for the first year that I felt nauseous driving to the gym.
- What keeps you coming back to the gym day after day? So many things. I love the variety of workouts. I love working out with friends as it makes me push myself harder. The workouts – I really like Jason’s programming. The coaches… we are lucky to have such great coaches. As a SAH parent, it’s the place I get to talk to grownups everyday, which is a huge plus. I love being fit enough that when I get a chance to do something athletic with Dave or friends at the drop of a hat, I can. It’s my mental health place too – I leave everything outside and focus on my overall health while I am there. It’s something Dave and I can enjoy together – sometimes he even lets me beat him. Recently it became the place I could bring my kids, which is especially great for Keira to be able to workout with peers, and work on her body awareness and functional movement. And, it is a place where we have made some great friendships that we have carried out of the gym.
- Do you have a favorite WOD or movement? Fran? Eva? I don’t really know. One of the things that I love is that the workouts are different every day – though I do enjoy challenging my old times on her WODs or old games workouts. Oh, and I do love back squat and deadlift days!
- Do you have a least favorite WOD or movement? Probably my least favorite movement is double under – so frustrating. I just never got the hang of them and find them entirely exhausting. How anyone finds this a recovery is beyond me!
- What’s your biggest personal accomplishment inside KCF? Anytime I improve a previous score I consider it an accomplishment. I figure as long as I can keep improving it will keep me young. I did hit a 215# back squat before hurting my knee and I am looking forward to getting back up there again – hopefully soon.
- Is there anything you want to share with the KCF community surrounding your personal fitness goals and successes? Any recent PRs you’re support proud of or lifts you feel more comfortable performing? I think my personal fitness goals really are functional health – but one day I do hope to master BMUs are a hit a 100# snatch.
- Outside the gym what are some of your favorite hobbies? I love to hike, run, and ski, but I am usually game for anything if it means being outside and active – with friends is a bonus!
- What’s your favorite place to vacation? We typically vacation in Canada and Mexico as that’s where we have family. Outside of that we do love to travel, and try to explore new places whenever we get a chance.