Kicking off 2022, our February Athlete of the Month is David Shoubridge! KCF coaches want to highlight David due to his consistent attendance at noon class, encouraging of other athletes, and always wanting to learn more! David, you are awesome and we are thankful to have you! Read more about David and his love of lifting below:
- How long have you been a member at KCF? Do you remember your first experience? I started attending KCF in September of 2019. My first experience was a trial class that was a five round retcon, but somehow I thought it was only three. I thought I was doing really well near the end of round three, until I realized I had two more rounds to complete!
- What keeps you coming back to the gym day after day? There are a few things: (1) I feel fantastic after a workout and throughout the rest of the day. I find that I am getting more and more “addicted” to that feeling after a great workout. (2) The people here are awesome and fun to be around. (3) I want to get in better shape, so I figure I should keep showing up 🙂
- Do you have a favorite WOD or movement? Weightlifting! Deadlifts, bench press, squats, etc.
- Do you have a least favorite WOD or movement? Cardio in general, but running in particular (and the assault bike). Also wall balls… they suck.
- What’s your biggest personal accomplishment inside KCF? Probably the first time I was able to RX a workout, that was a great feeling!
- Is that anything you want to share with the KCF community surrounding your personal fitness goals and successes? Any recent PRs you’re super proud of or lifts you feel more comfortable performing? I have been lifting weights since I was a teenager, but I’ve never felt more comfortable, stable and safe performing the same lifts I’ve done for years than I do now thanks to the awesome coaching I have received at KCF. For example, deadlifts and squats are two movements I have performed for years, but there were small (and not so small) form issues that, once corrected, have made me feel more stable and strong in these lifts than I ever have. Form is everything!
- Outside the gym what are some of your favorite hobbies? Outside the gym I enjoy driving, video games, board games, and spending time with my wife and son. Also food. Definitely food. And cocktail mixing… and tasting!
- What’s your favorite place to vacation? Maui! (Also anywhere tropical with a beach)!